Session I: Open Focused Inquiry Series (OFIS) on Classroom Communication as Praxis

โ€œThe critical question…is not so much about giving voice or empowered expressions of agency, but of how to listen and hear: the responsibility for recognition shifts from the speaker to the listener.โ€
–McLeod, J. (2011). โ€œStudent voice and the politics of listening in higher education.โ€ Critical Studies in Education, 52(2), p185

In Session I of this Open Focused Inquiry Series (OFIS), we will collaboratively create a framework for understanding intentional classroom communication and its potential to encourage students as learners, interrogators, and producers of knowledge. By reflecting on our own experiences and practices as instructors and learners, we will explore talking, listening, questioning, and responding individually and as a series of interconnected practices. We will then synthesize our thoughts into a series of questions to guide our study of these dynamics throughout the series. Finally, the group will review a prepared annotated bibliography and choose a few short readings from the scholarship of teaching and learning to guide our discussion in the next session.

Session I meets on Tuesday, March 5th at 3pm in room 3317. To register, click here. Participants are asked to please bring a laptop or other mobile device to the session.

Session I is the first in a four-part Open Focused Inquiry Series that examines how we do (or do not) use intentional communication practices to encourage students as learners, interrogators, and producers of knowledge. This group draws from the scholarship of teaching and learning and our own experiences as graduate student instructors to explore the theory and practice of dynamic, intentional classroom communication. To learn more, and for participation options, click here.