GC Digital Initiatives and the Teaching and Learning Center at the CUNY Graduate Center are pleased to invite applications from CUNY faculty and instructors for the Open Education & Publishing Institute. Faculty from any discipline are invited to apply to participate in the Institute where they will create, design, and implement an Open Educational Resource (OER) or an OER course built on either (or both!) the CUNY Academic Commons or Manifold.
The Open Educational Resource or the OER/ZTC course that Fellows develop are intended to serve as models for future faculty who are interested in developing OER and teaching with open-source, digital platforms. See more about the two options below.
Option 1: Create and Design an Open Educational Resource
The OER created as part of the institute can be in the form of a CUNY Academic Commons website or a Manifold project. Please see the examples below:
- CUNY Academic Commons
Option 2: Create and build an OER/ZTC course
Fellows will design and teach a course using OER/ZTC materials. Courses will be hosted and taught on the CUNY Academic Commons and/or Manifold. The course should involve student development of public-facing work or a digital project. See course examples below:
- BIOL 4001: Field Botany
- ELL101: Linguistic Landscapes
- Art: Its History & Meaning
- QCC Great Books
- Conociendo a Galdós (Meeting Galdós)
About the Open Education & Publishing Institute
Selected Fellows will work with the GC’s Open Educational Technologists and colleagues from across the CUNY system to develop their OER or Fall 2022 or Spring 2023 course. In Summer 2022, from June 13-16, Fellows will attend virtual meetings, likely including four morning informational/workshop sessions, and four afternoon working sessions to plan and begin implementing their projects. During the informational and working sessions, Fellows will learn more about the affordances of the platforms, open access content and publishing, open digital tools, and best practices for developing experiential and public facing assignments and projects. Work will continue throughout the summer, culminating in a final August meeting. Following the institute, OEPI Fellows will be expected to write a brief reflection about the OER or open course they developed during their fellowship experience.
The first part of the institute will take place from June 13-16, 2022. Throughout July and August, Fellows will have one-on-one, virtual check-ins with the Open Educational Technologists, and will attend one final fellowship meeting in August to share their OER or course with their colleagues.
Ten OEPI fellows will receive $2000 each to participate in the institute. Attendance is required at all events.
This Institute is supported by grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities American Rescue Plan and the CUNY Office of Library Services. It is administered by GC Digital Initiatives and the Teaching and Learning Center at the CUNY Graduate Center.
- Faculty from all disciplines are eligible to apply
- Applicants should be scheduled to teach in Fall 2022 or Spring 2023
- Adjunct faculty with multi-year contracts are eligible to apply
- Graduate student instructors with at least 3 years of teaching experience who will be listed as instructors of record in a Fall 2022 or Spring 2023 course are eligible to apply
- Applicants should have previous experience with Manifold or the CUNY Academic Commons/WordPress
How to Apply
By May 1st, please complete the linked application form AND email a single PDF named “OEPI-lastname.pdf” to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- A brief CV of no more than 2 pages;
- A statement of no more than 500 words that offers:
- A brief summary of your plans for creating an OER or open course
- Your experience with the platform(s) you plan to use, including links to past projects or courses (if applicable)
- Details about how the Open Education & Publishing Institute will support your development of an OER or open course
Application Form: https://forms.gle/i4JrRckPDYCV5Ci7A
If there are any questions, please email Laurie Hurson (email@example.com).