April 24th, 6:30-8:30pm
Join us for a panel discussion with five faculty members who will share their experiences teaching the humanities at CUNY’s community colleges. Panelists will offer brief presentations addressing a range of topics, including the challenges and the opportunities they’ve encountered teaching the humanities at a community college; the strategies they’ve used to maintain research momentum while teaching heavy course loads; and the way they understand the role of their disciplines and the humanities in the context of community college education. The panelists—several of them Graduate Center alumnae—will also share practical advice for doctoral students looking to pursue community college teaching careers. Following the participants’ presentations, there will be an hour dedicated to Q&A and discussion with the audience.
Our panelists will include:
- Leah Anderst, Assistant Professor of English, Queensborough Community College
- Ria Banerjee, Assistant Professor of English, Guttman Community College
- Prithi Kanakamedala, Assistant Professor of History, Bronx Community College
- Karen Miller, Professor of History, LaGuardia Community College
- Soniya Munshi, Assistant Professor of Sociology, Borough of Manhattan Community College