This workshop, courtesy of the PublicsLab at the Graduate Center, offers three videos: a “crash course” approach to audio/video production; a primer on “Camera Angles and Lighting Techniques” and “Advanced Audio Methods & Pedagogy.”
This workshops was developed by Mike Mena (The Publics Lab) as part of the Teach@CUNY 2020 Summer Institute.
“The Crash Course”
- Are you “really bad” at this?
- What do our ideologies about media tell us about ourselves?
- Tips on creating a talking-head background
- Edit a lecture on iMovie (or any other program)
- Constructing an onscreen personality: “Personality Work”
“Camera Angles and Lighting Techniques”
- The importance of camera angles
- Designing you backgrounds (advanced lighting techniques)
- Your background is you as an educator!
- What is the most important part of video productions? (Hint: not video quality)
“Advanced Audio Methods & Pedagogy”
- Lighting your main subject, lighting yourself
- Should you use your camera phone instead of webcam?
- How to make a production studio out of your phone!
- Let’s talk Pedagogy – Walk-thru of Mike’s teaching process